Anjuna is a village located on the coast of North Goa, India. It is a Census Town, one of the twelve Brahmin comunidades of Bardez. It is mostly a tourist destination. Its church, St. Michael's Church, Anjuna, founded in 1595, is dedicated to S. Miguel, and celebrates the feasts of S. Miguel (September 29) and Nossa Senhora Advogada (second week of January). There are three large chapels in the parish: the one to S. Antonio (Praias), to Nossa Senhora de Saude (Mazalvaddo), and to Nossa Senhora de Piedade (Grande Chinvar). The chapel at Vagator became the church of the new parish of Vagator, dedicated to S. Antonio, in the twentieth century. Like all of Goa, Anjuna was long held by the Portuguese. In 1950, it had a population of 5,688, and in 2011 it had 9,636. Historian Teresa Albuquerque, reports that the village's name is derived from the Arabic word 'Hanjuman' (meaning merchant guild). Other say, it comes from an Arabic word for "change" - as people were arriving at Anjuna from the sea, and where looking to change money. It was discovered by the hippies during the 60's, then was a center of backpackers and trance parties lovers, and lately became a popular destination for young big-city Indians. Anjuna Beach is popularly known as the freak capital of the world and not without reasons. It claimed popularity for its Trance Parties and the Hippies who tried to synthesize the spiritual traditions of the East and the art, ideas and the music of the West. Anjuna is famous for its trance parties held on the beach during the tourist season (October - April). Anjuna also hosts the famous flea market (Every Wednesday) where you can purchase products from all over India, as well as from foreigners, ranging from fruits to jewelry, clothes, hashish and electronic devices.